[Amps] ?: Ceramic Switch

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ?: Ceramic Switch
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:19:42 -0600
Radio WC6W <wc6w@juno.com> sez

>    The switch has square ceramic wafers about 1/4" think by 2-15/16"
>square.   It has 10 positions.  The wafers are mounted to the index
>assembly with ceramic standoffs.   The rotary contact has a triple wiper
>and is coupled to the shaft by a 1-3/8" diameter by 5/16" thick ceramic
>disk notched, on its circumference, every 90 degrees.   There is a mil
>part number:  FSN-N-5930-296-9180  marked on the front of the metal index
>assembly.

The "FSN" designator is now "NSN" and there are a couple NSN databases on
the web you can access for free if you REEEEAALLY search.  The 5930
designates this component as an electrical component, which means it
_probably_ was a depot service part.

The NSN database is indexed to show the most recent manufacturers of a
part, and IIRC this other database gives the NIIN number, which is the
index to the prime contractors who delivered the specified parts.
Sometimes they made the part, sometimes not.

If NSN 5930-296-9180 is an active number, you should be able to track down
at least one manufacturer -- but that desn't mean it's the manufacturer of
the part.  Case in point -- R-390s have the same NSN number, but came from
at least three manufacturers I can think of -- Collins, Motorola, and
Philco.

All the NSN number guarantees is that the part fits in the right hole and
provides an exact functional replacement for what came out.

Since I'm feeling generous, here's a Clue -- do a google search on "levy
latham surplus" and "defense remarketing surplus."

You guys weren't planning on doing anything important this weekend, were you?

Jim N6OTQ