[Amps] Glitch resistors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Glitch resistors
From: mike.tubby@thorcom.co.uk (Michael J. Tubby B.Sc (Hons) G8TIC)
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 23:04:39 -0000
>Hi Ian,
>
>> Can we identify a specific range of US-made resistors, for the
>> record?
>
>  Here are some real pulse rated types... not just ceramics that (may)
>happen to survive the event.
>
>  Kanthal Globar (who acquired the Carborundum product line) makes a good
>assortment -- their resistors are rated for both pulse voltage and
>energy.  Take as look at the AS parts.
>
>  Ohmite has a new line that would be suitable for the application with a
>pair in series -- look for the AY & AZ prefix

?  To test a glitch resistor, short the HV+ to gnd.  [Before doing this
test, install suitable glitch diodes across the meters and across the
grid current and anode/plate current shunt resistors]  The glitch
resistor should not exhibit physical damage or a change in R.  If the
glitch resistor does pass the test, discard it, install two such
resistors in series, and repeat the test.

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't this test method end up
with an exponentially larger and larger pile of resistors in the trash bin
:-)

Cheers Rich!

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end