[Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Antenna vs. amp (was: al-1200 question)
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 20:11:26 -0500
> The only thing to remember is that you can not have gain in an antenna
> unless you have directivity. Gain in a particular direction comes from
> reducing it in other directions.

It depends on what the reference antenna is.

An isotropic radiator has several dB gain over a GAP vertical on 80
meters, even though it is less directional.

Gain is a function of efficiency and directivity, while for receiving
efficiency can be pretty much left out...at least within reasonable
limits.

The only reason I brought this up is people commonly think
anything they do to increase gain by lowering feedline or antenna
loss helps on receiving a similar amount...yet clearly that is not
true.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com