[Amps] TenTec Titan 425

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] TenTec Titan 425
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 05:58:42 -0800

To: <amps@contesting.com>

To: <amps@contesting.com>
>>Date: 09 March 2002 15:02
>>Subject: Re: [Amps] TenTec Titan 425
>... ... ...
>>>?  With pos. 5kV on the anode, some of the meltballs apparently stick to
>>>the anode insulator where they form a leakage path.  With neg 5kV on the
>>>anode, thanks to like charges repel, the meltballs apparently head
>>>through the grid-cage and fall toward the base.  By tapping on the top of
>>>the tube, more meltballs can be dislodged and moved into the base.  A
>>>20:1 reduction in leakage current can be accomplished with this seemingly
>>>shmuckish technique.  However, if the tube is inadvertently inverted,
>>>some meltballs move back to the anode insulator and anode-grid leakage
>>>increases substantially.
>

>>I get your picture. I'm still puzzled by how the balls get, and hold, the
>>charge.
>>
>>?  My guess is that gold plating is used to reduce primary electron
>>emission from the grid because the gold atom's outer electron shell is
>>full.  Thus, it does not easily give up or take on an electron.  Gold
>>meltballs seem to behave like they have a negative charge because they
>>are invariably attracted to a positive anode.
>-------------
>I can't think why they would behave as if they were charged, if they
>weren't. I remain puzzled.

?  Gold atoms seem to act like bits of paper when they are brought near
an electrostatically charged plastic rod.  Maybe it's esoteric science?
The mystery is why "Eimac's Reid Brandon told QST's Technical Topics
Editor (Paul Pagel) that Eimac's Chief Specifications Engineer (W. Foote)
was not authorized to tell yours truly about the gold-sputtering
phenomenon?

cheers, Steve

?  Postscript --  ur e.mailer app. is not doing attributed lines
correctly.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end