[Amps] Henry 2k p.s. questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2k p.s. questions
From: Kk2ed@aol.com (Kk2ed@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 23:48:26 EST
Hello group,

I am trying to repair an old Henry 2K. It is the original 2k console unit
with a pair of 3-400Zs and the power supply which uses the two tube
rectifiers. The two rectifiers were replaced with the Intl Rectifier 1nxxx
type units.

When the unit is powered up the primary fuses blow once the HV switch is
enabled. The filament power appears to be ok. I have removed the tubes and
ruled out any kind of tube short.  It appears that if the amp is stone cold,
there is a slight delay before the buzz and blown fuse event takes place when
the HV switch is thrown. Once it is warm, it trips right away. I did some
simple troubleshooting, and there appears to be no short of any kind on the
HV line (with the Ip meter disconnected, otherwise it gets in the way of
checking to ground). The only thing I could not confirm was the two solid
state rectifiers. When measuring from the base to the anode, I get an open
reading in both directions. Is there a way to test these that I am not aware
of?  What kind of reading should I expect when checking them?  Could they be
the culprit?

Also, while the choke appears good, could it be failing once under load
(powered up)?

TIA,

Eric
KK2ED