[Amps] Henry 2k p.s. questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Henry 2k p.s. questions
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:51:01 -0800
> When the unit is powered up the primary fuses blow once the HV switch is
> enabled. The filament power appears to be ok. I have removed the tubes and
>
> ruled out any kind of tube short.  It appears that if the amp is stone
> cold,
> there is a slight delay before the buzz and blown fuse event takes place
> when
> the HV switch is thrown. Once it is warm, it trips right away. I did some
> simple troubleshooting, and there appears to be no short of any kind on
> the
> HV line (with the Ip meter disconnected, otherwise it gets in the way of
> checking to ground). The only thing I could not confirm was the two solid
> state rectifiers. When measuring from the base to the anode, I get an open
>
> reading in both directions. Is there a way to test these that I am not
> aware
> of?

        ::You'd need a "Megger" (which generates substantial voltage to
measure resistance) to check these...they use a lot of junctions in series
and have too high a Vf (forward voltage drop) to be measured with a
conventional VOM that only delivers a few volts to the device being
measured.  However, the fact that they read "open" and not "shorted" would
seem to indicate these are not what are blowing the fuses!

        -WB2WIK/6