[Amps] hv probe

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hv probe
From: jtml@lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 12:37:35 -0700
HV Probes:

Inexpensive <-> high voltage? The two aren't synonomous now. Expect
to spend about $75-150 for a HV probe, more for an accurate one for a
DMM. A standalone unit with a small analog movement is made by Tenma
in the Newark Electronics Catalog (and online) for $75. Good for 40
kV max. DC. positive only. If you value your life, expect to pay a
little more than you would for a logic probe or imported scope probe.

Heathkit used to make a nice cheap one (about $30), but that is long
gone except at hamfests. Agilent (hp), Fluke both have 'em. Pomona
might make one too.

All are in this price range. There are probably some offshore brands
(Tenma might be) which can be had for less, but be aware for safety
and for accuracy you pay a little more. TV repairmen still exist, and
they must buy something for the anode voltage, maybe Sencore or B&K
make something. Simpson even used to have a model for the 260 analog
meter.

If you buy a probe make sure that it is made for the input impedance
of your DMM, say 10 Meg Ohms if thats it.
All they have in them is a series are long accurate stable resistors,
like Victoreen glass resistors. Don't touch them as they are about
100 Meg ohms and your skin oil and dirt might cause leakage across
the surface.

I suggest you look at distributor catalogs for these, like Davis
Instruments, Transcat, Mitchell Instruments, your local electrical
distributor, Allied, Newark, Farnell. Maybe you should raise your
minimum price and see what you can find.
73
John
K5PRO