[Amps] What do you get out of your 4-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] What do you get out of your 4-1000
From: w6ru@bak.rr.com (Terry Gaiser)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 08:52:08 -0800
My test of 4-1000A tubes ....

4000 volts under load.
100 watts drive power.
14.2 MHZ.
Amplifier terminated into a Bird 2500 watt dummy load.
Power output read with a Bird 43 wattmeter with 2500 watt HF slug.
Sorry I do not pay any attention to Plate or Grid current. Amplifier is
tuned for maximum output with CW transmission.

With this setup I have seen BRAND NEW, unused tubes AND clean glass radar
pulse pull out  tubes produce between 1400 to 1600 watts output power. Once
in a great while I have seen a broadcast pull tube with dark glass show this
much power but that is rare ... they usually show 800 to 1200 watts output.

Terry W6RU