[Amps] Solid State HF amps and kits

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid State HF amps and kits
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 08:19:32 -0500
> I'd like to think it's possible to develop an affordable desktop kilowatt
> transceiver with output bandpass filtering that tracks the VFO and tunes
> after keydown and before transmission -- but come on, how many of us have
> "pounced" on a DX station when the band magically quieted for 150 ms?

It is very possible, you only have to switch six times or less to cover 160-10m.
These low pass filters are very broad...six gives continuous coverage from
1.8 to 30 mhz.

As far back as the old Magnus Metron amp, remote relay  band switching has
been available, as is on the Henry line of S.S. amps. I once owned a 1kw
Collins S.S. amp that had vacuum relays in the output filters. (gov. surplus)
The thing was good for full QSK, even with digital modes. with automatic band
switching. The down-side was that it used Motorola transistors (8) in the final
that were built especially for Collins and were no longer available except
through
Collins/Rockwell at  big-time prices.

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC