[Amps] Ameritron AL82 @ 17 meters

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron AL82 @ 17 meters
From: jstrohm@texas.net (Jim Strohm)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 16:20:47 -0500
"Timo Pohjola" <oh1mdr@saunalahti.fi> says --

> I was tuning my AL82 amplifier on 17 meter band and the plate choke
> blew. I haven't used the amp much before on 17m.
>
> Has anybody else had such problems? This was the first problem ever with
> this amp during 6 years.

Spurious resonances on plate chokes are not uncommon.  There was a very
famous mod to Alphas some years back that involved moving the plate choke
resonance to the center of 11 meters (27.185 MHz).

It was roughly akin to wiring a frequency-sensitive stick of dynamite
inside a transmitter, as you discovered.

My opinion of this modification was that it constituted an actionable
violation of the US Communications Act of 1934 prohibition on sabotage of a
radio station, which predated the outlawing of amplifiers in the US
Citizens Band by nearly half a century.

Locally we have a law that's referred to as "reckless endangerment," which
could be used to prosecute people performing the mod in question.

Best bet?  Rewind or replace in kind, and dip/adjust the replacement to
ensure no stray resonances fall in your bands of interest.

Tom, care to put in your 2c on this?

Jim N6OTQ