[Amps] al-1500 parasitic?? or some other problem?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] al-1500 parasitic?? or some other problem?
From: W4EF@dellroy.com (Mike)
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 21:25:59 -0700
Its sounds like the amp is marginally stable, and the input signal
is pumping the oscillation. I have seen this kind of behavior in a
marginally stable solid state IF amplifier strip that one of our
contracters at work put together. The amp would produce a
normal looking set of harmonics at low RF inputs levels. At
some point as the RF input level was raised, the second
harmonic would suddenly jump in level and get really big. My
guess is that IF strip was breaking into oscillation at this point,
and injection locking to the input signal. Sounds like this
AL-1500 is doing something similar. I don't get the 1.5
relationship however. I would expect an integer relationship
between the drive signal and the injection locked oscillation.

Have you checked how far you can pull the 15 meter spur
with the 14 MHz input? Does the 15 meter signal move exactly
1.5 times the amount of the chang in the frequency of the 20
meters signal (e.g. if you move the 20 meter transmit frequency
1 KHz, does the 15 meter spur move exactly 1.5 KHz)?

The 15 meter key clicks would be consistent with a pumped
instability which appears rapidly at some threshold point of the
input signal. The oscillation would in effect, square up the
shaped enveloped of the input signal.

BTW, are you sure the oscillation is occuring in the amplifier
and not the exciter?  Have you tried driving the AL-1500
with a different exciter (the load impedance seen by the
exciter will vary with drive level applied to the amp). Also,
you mentioned antenna spacing. Do you get the same results
driving a dummy load with the AL-1500?

Good luck - it sounds like an annoying, but interesting RF
problem.

73 de Mike, W4EF..................