[Amps] Mica capacitors - friend or foe?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Mica capacitors - friend or foe?
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:11:44 -0500
I have a mica cap. here on my desk that I use for a paper-weight.
It is made by Captron.....5100 pf @ 3000 peak volts.
The current ratings marked on it are:
9.1 amps @ 3000 khz
8.2 amps @ 1000 khz
6.2 amps @ 300 khz
3 amps    @ 100 khz

This brings up a number of questions:

Is the 9.1 amps a maximum at ANY frequency above 3000 khz,
or does it rise past 9.1 amps at higher frequencies?

If it will handle more current than 9.1 amps at higher frequencies,
will some point be reached where a maximum never-exceed
current rating will be reached?

If 9.1 amps @ 3000 khz IS the never-exceed current rating,
does this hold at higher frequencies, or does the current
rating start to go back down as you pass 3000 khz going up?

This ought to keep a few minds busy during the long week-end!

Inquiring minds want to know.......

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC