[Amps] Solid state relay question

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid state relay question
From: w8ron@stratos.net (Ron)
Date: Sun, 16 Jun 2002 21:08:09 -0400
Hi Vic.
I use thes types of relays for many things.
If you have the ones that actuate from 3 to 32 volts , it would be easy to get
some
interferenc from RF dropping the actuating voltage below 3 volts if you are
running
it at 5 volts.  The input circuit is opto -isolated so you are running an LED to
fire a triac.
Some of these devices wait for a zero crossing of the line to switch.
If you get interference at a zero crossing spot , the triac would wait for the
next
crossing and you would miss a half cycle......this might be enough to surge the
relay on the next half cycle.

I would suggest raising the actuating voltage so that you have a larger noise
margin  or place a reasonably large cap across the input to let it run the diode
for a few cycles should interference drop the actuating signal below 3 volts.
---
Ron