[Amps] re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state
From: 2@mail.vcnet.com (Richard)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 06:24:42 -0700
>re: CTI screen regulator, tubes vs solid state
>-
>Remember the past posts on the CTI 4cx250b amplifiers
>using tube voltage regulators in the screen supply?
>The President Bob Piselli (wa1zru) Emailed the
>below text to me.
>-
>-
>[paste]
>... The reason I used gas regulators vs solid state, is
>the ability of gas regulators to have a longer time
>constant over the attack and release cycle of regulation.

* There is no attack and release in a shunt regulator.  It's on 100% of
the time.  The difference between gas tube regulation and zener-avalanche
diode regulation is that at turn-on, gas regulators require more
potential to begin conducting.  The delta-current capability of gas
regulators is c. 30mA whereas zeners are capable of more delta-current.
For 4cx250Bs - which have minimal or even reverse screen current - gas
tubes work well but offer no performance edge over zener regulators
provided the zeners are operated under 1/3 of their surreal dissipation
rating.  For example, it might seem thar a 10V/5W zener would be ok with
500mA -- but keeping the DO-5 case temp under 25ºC requires extraordinary
measures - such as water with ice cubes cooling.   In the real world, a
10V/5W zeners are good for c. 160mA provided they have breathing room and
some air movement.

>What that gives you is a more smooth voltage transition
>of regulation, not like the"chopping" effect of solid state.
>You can hear this effect in the audio signal.
>-
* undiluted codswallop

>Solid state has no place here and in my opinion is
>nothing more than someone trying to re-invent the
>wheel by limiting component space and cost. Also,
>gas regulators provide DC filtering. Many people don't
>realize that fact.

*  apparently President Bob doesn't realize that zeners do this.

>Maybe that's why this amplifier sounds
>so good on the air. 73 and thanks for your comments.

* ur welcome, Mr. President.

>Bob
>President/CTI ComTec, Inc.
>-