[Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust
From: davek@medphys.ucl.ac.uk (Dr. David Kirkby)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 10:25:07 +0100
Bill Smith wrote:

> Do the muffin fans hold up ok with all the hot air
> being pulled through them?  I use one to enhance the
> exhaust from two 3-400Z tubes.
> 73,
> Bill

As someone else has said, fans work better when pushing air, rather than
pulling it. Assuming a local air pressure of 760 mm of mercury, the
greatest pressure drop a fan can possibly produce when sucking is 760 mm
of Hg - the negative vacuum does not exist to my knowledge. In contrast,
when pushing air, there is no theoretical limit - ignoring the possibly
of liquefying the air.

The above argument does not prove fans work better at more typical
pressures, but I believe this is the case.

Like any component, fans last longer when cool.
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Senior Research Fellow,