[Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust/3

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust/3
From: alex@mail.sandlabs.com (alex)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 08:24:16 -0400
Processors are cheap and reliable. I can remember when I had to content with
reliability issue in 1980 when at Turret Equipment Corp I have designed the
First Key Telephone System using solid state switching and processors.
At the time everybody said it will never work as the processors are not
reliable enough ...  Today we can not even imagine _any_ communication
system without at least one processor.

 There are 4 processors/microcontrollers in our Amplifier. The SAM (System
Ambient Monitor)processor is a $2 PIC that provides more intelligence that
some people on this list have. It monitors temperature, air flow and
humidity in 28 places in the amplifier/PS/Antenna Tuner assembly.

 The second processor (PC for Power Controll) is a Motorola power house you
can get for $6. It controls the  automatic load tuner, the SWR and FORWARD
Power  Samplers and  the filament and anode voltages in real time. Together
with SAM, HF arching is totally impossible

The third one, DC - Display Control- is an 8751 ($3) controlling the
Analog/Digital and/or CRT displays.

The forth is a Rabbit Semiconductor 3000 ($12) as a System Control,
Communication and Supervision.

The CCS processor allow multiple Amplifiers to be networked and controlled
from a remote location :) - besides other nice features like signal
distortion monitoring/comparison through  FFT (Fast Furier Transform) on the
input/output signals .

And all of this for less that $50 and some time in programming it. Don't you
think is worth it ? The customers are not stupid when they ask for it :)

One might ask why four if one should suffice. The answer is that the system
is modular every module having it's own controller. This makes the Amp easy
to configure and/or add new features.

My car has 8 processors. Why is it that my amplifier should not have four ?
Darwin has shown that evolution means growing intelligence. Why should it be
different for any equipment we build, including amplifiers? You want to
progress, to evolve your designs, don't you ? And progress  in our Amps
means, processors, logic, ram, flash and so on.

About noise. Only CHEAP Fans make noise. FANS DO NOT MAKE NOISE! AIR
MUVEMENT DOES :)

About surface machining to 100A. The process is called molecular bonding and
it actually embeds the transistor in the cooper heat spreader. It is not my
fault you
have not heard about it inspite the fact that Motorola has pioneered it 30
years ago :)

Wake up.  30 years ago one Bill OR has designed one AMP and you are still
copying it! No wonder the Japanese (and others) have taken our markets :(
Start thinking independently, make some waves, produce something new ...

30 years wasted ... oh...

Alex