[Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Muffin Fans and hot exhaust
From: jhurry@austin.rr.com (Dudley Hurry)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 14:07:58 -0500
Steve,

I have a 120 cfm boxer type fan helping the 60 cfm blower in my Alpha 77.
The Alpha has several 50 ohm/50 watt resistors in series with the AC to
reduce the RPM of the blower.  The muffin fan helps "pull" additional air
into the powersupply.  Muffins will not create backpressure to any extent,
but will move CFM, more than the blower requires.  The backpressue is
created by the rotating squirrel cage blower, against a restriction (like
the tube and tube socket)..  What Alpha did in the 77 was to have a heat
sensor in the outlet airflow that would short out the series resistors
feeding the blower..  The extra muffin fan just helps to keep the total CFM
moving, not create backpressure.

Thanks and 73's,
Dudley
WA5QPZ