[Amps] Which Amp

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Which Amp
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 15:59:21 -0700
Re "foolproof" amplifiers, in this particular case I'd recommend an old
Alpha 78.  Haven't been made in years, but therefore very reasonably priced.
They're no-tune and cover 160-10 meters.  Replacement tubes are very
expensive, but with small modifications the amp can be converted to more
commonly available tubes including 3CX800A7s (using two, instead of three
8874's), and if a used one with very good condx tubes can be found, it may
well last another ten years or more before the tubes require replacement.
The tubes in the 78 loafed at only about 750W dissipation total under normal
operation, and they're rated for 1200W total.  I had the original set of
8874's in one purchased in 1980 or so and sold in 1998, eighteen years later
-- still running full output, no signs of wear.   The amp makes >1kW PEP on
each band in the "no tune" (bandpass) mode, and is difficult to overdrive
and damage, if the input padding circuit is set to the "high drive" tap
(which takes about 150W drive power for normal operation).

-WB2WIK/6

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." -
Mario Andretti