[Amps] Parting out 20Kw FM Tx

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Parting out 20Kw FM Tx
From: philk5pc at tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Sat Aug 2 20:43:02 2003
> Next question, does anyone have much experience of running a three phase
> transformer on one phase and drawing about 1/3 the amount of current?
>
> Larry
> VA3LK

The center winding is left unconnected at both primary and secondary ends.
The two outer secondarys are connected to a full-wave bridge rectifier
stack.
The two outer primaries are wired in parallel. If output voltage is low,
reverse
the leads to one of the primaries. You have a 50-50 chance of doing it right
the first time! (no harm done either way)

If you are changing from choke to capacitor input, you will need a
step-start
circuit on the transformer primary, and an increase in bleeder resistor
ohmage.

If the old configuration was choke input, you will wind up with more voltage
output under this new scheme, and I assume you can draw 2/3 of the original
rated current with no problem. (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm
sure.)

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC