[Amps] Blower noise

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Blower noise
From: jimr.reid@verizon.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:27:16 -1000
>  Manufacturer states the noise level as  61...
> Is this  loud ?

A some time ago, Bell Labs put out the following:

Whisper at 5 feet..........20 db

Average house.............45 dB

Average conversation...65 dB

Average factory...........75 dB

Riveting machine at 35 feet...100 dB

Loud rock music...........115 dB

Threshold of ear pain....130 dB

Other factors impacting the irritability of noise include
the frequency components within, and of course,  the
separation from the noise source.

There is a big Dayton blower(2C915A) in my Henry amp;
it is pretty noisy.  So the amp is in the next room,  hi. In
that room,  and within 4 feet or so of the amp cabinet,
the sound level is around 82 dB.  Coming over here into
the "shack" room,  the sound level from the amp blower
drops down to around 68 db.  (Sound levels measured
with the Realistic  33-1028 sound level meter,  old but
still operates just fine!)  That 68 dB reads like it is a loud
sound,  but it is not to the ears;  the frequency components
are low and my ears are not as sensitive as the "flat"
response curve of the sound meter.  Similarly,  the loudness
sound of the blower near the Henry cabinet,  seems more
loud even than 82 dB;  probably because there are more
mid and high range components over there.  Those are
more muffled than the low components by the insulated wall
between the two rooms.

Not sure if all that helps,  but is interesting anyway,  hi.

73,  Jim  KH7M