[Amps] RMS-PEP & 2x8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] RMS-PEP & 2x8877
From: stevek@jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:53:26 -0800

>  Adding a bunch to the confusion :
> Why antenna or baloon constructors say ;
> Max power ( as an example )
> ssb/1500 w
> cw/750 w
> rtty/500 w

        [Steve Katz]  Well, I don't know about Belgium, but here in the
States, we rate baloons in pounds per square inch, or cubic feet, or
something like that.  I never saw one rated in Watts!  <hi hi>

        Seriously, this is based on heating effect only.  If the limiting
factor in a component is voltage breakdown, then "mode" would have nothing
to do with it.  But if it's heating, then obviously, RTTY, with 100% duty
cycle, will create more heat in any dissipative component than CW, with ~50%
duty cycle, or SSB, with even lower duty cycle than that.  Heating is
usually from IR loss in materials.  If the component were lossless, it would
have an unlimited power rating...
        -WB2WIK/6