[Amps] Output Safety Choke Value

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Output Safety Choke Value
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 01:48:35 -0800
>It is often said in amateur circles that the choke is there to provide a
>safety
>ground if the feed capacitor from the plate goes short circuit. In that case,
>the choke has to be pretty 'hefty' in that it will need to blow the HV
>fuse or
>whatever without burning up itself, and the usual 2.5mH choke will
>literally be
>toast long before that happens with a big amplifier.  As Rich says, to just
>bleed the dc of the tuning and loading capacitors, resistors are adequate.
>
>I've never had a case of the feed capacitor going short circuit, although
>that
>doesn't mean it hasn't happened.

**  If the HV DC-blocker shorts, the typical load-C will arc to ground
and blow the primary HV fuses.   //  On a windy day, I have measured up
to 3kV of static charge on an 80m anrenna, so a bleeder resistor is
seemingly good engineering practice.  An output bleeder-R also provides a
good way to measure relative RF-output V.  Add a 100-ohm resistor from
the cold end of the bleeder to ground and connect a diode to the junction
to furnish DC to a tuning meter.  hote -- This is more useful in a g-g
amp than in a grid-driven amp, where the tuning is done instead with the
screen-current meter.

cheerz, Peter.