[Amps] Electronic circuit symbols - what is standard?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Electronic circuit symbols - what is standard?
From: drkirkby@ntlworld.com (Dr. David Kirkby)
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 11:34:36 +0000
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I'm hoping someone here can help
me. Is there anyone who knows for certain if there is an agreed
International Standards Committee (ISO) or other agreed standard on
electronic circuit symbols? Or does anyone know if the Institute of
electrical engineers (of which I'm a corportate member!!) or perhaps
the IEEE sets the standard? I'd like to know what agreed convention
should be used, rather than a list of what amatuers (and profesionals)
often use.

My wife's two grandchildren have been showing me some circuit symbols
they are being taught to use in science, which to me look odd to say
the least. They are only 11, but I would have thought (having never
been a teacher except at university level) that children should be
taught to use the correct symbols, rather than what appears to be a
mix of symbols that go from right to so incorrect no professional
electronics engineer would have a clue what they meant.

I'm not going to purchase a copy of a current BS, ISO, IEEE or
whatever standard, but if anyone can tell me what the standard is
(i.e. BS-xyz, ISO-xyy etc), and if possible a diagram of at least the
basic symbols, I would like to know.

Thanks.
--
Dr. David Kirkby,