[Amps] who makes the best?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] who makes the best?
From: 2@vc.net (Rich)
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 06:32:37 -0800
>focusing the question for Mr. Measures, with tongue in cheek, then, which
>one
>is the worst, dullest, with the least suprises, has great supression of vhf
>oscillation, never blows up, can be dropped from the empire state building
>and make a great big hole but keeps on ticking.

Your drop-test does not appear to be reasonable.

>Dear Mr. Measures, I love reading your stuff,

tnx

>read the battle with ARRL, who
>in your opinion makes the best commercially available amateur radio amp,
>besides the ones that hacked on your articles of course!

Have you read the amp article in the Jan 1994 QST?  The original
manuscript is on my Web site.

>Maybe your opinion is none of them, because they all cut important corners
>for cost and lack of technical ability, etc,
>I am curious as to what your opinion is!

None of 'em are perfect.  The best bet is to read up, talk to others on
the phone or on the air, design and build it urself.  The 8169 amp on my
Web site was not too bad.
The only faults were one missing wire and a HV-RFC that had a resonance
too close to 14MHz.  Nacherly, a choke fire resulted, I fixed the choke,
moved the resonance to 15MHz, and it played ok.  Thanks to the choke
fire, I now recommend parking choke resonances at least 6% from the
nearest Ham band.  Live and learn.