[Amps] HELP: obsolete power zener for a TL-922

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] HELP: obsolete power zener for a TL-922
From: stevek at jmr.com (Steve Katz)
Date: Wed Jan 29 11:02:40 2003
Hi Rich,

Re: Power zener surge current ratings....

You normally won't find the surge rating for a zener on a data sheet, since
a single-die zener isn't normally tested under surge conditions, it's
characterized for DC; e.g., the 1N3306B is rated 6.9Adc zener current at
stud temperatures up to 75 degrees C.  However, the real surge rating is
found when the same die is rated as a transient voltage suppressor, such as
the Microsemi 15KE7.5A, which uses the same silicon zener die as the 1N3306B
but is characterized not for DC use, but as a TVS.  That part is rated 15kWp
based on an 8/20uS pulse waveform, which translates per the curve to a
1,500Apk rating.  Same die, same device, just tested differently.

WB2WIK/6

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure with no loss of
enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill