[Amps] sat transformer for filament

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] sat transformer for filament
From: jtml at lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue Feb 4 10:04:11 2003
Its done sort of this way in larger rigs, usually an off the shelf
unit for 120/240 VAC is used, a ferroresonant type with 3 windings
and a capacitor. Then a standard filament transformer or special
current limiting type (2 x) with a small rheotstat or variac in the
primary side to set the exact voltage. With this arrangement, the
line v is regulated.

Should consult with your tube manufacturer if you plan to use
nonsinusoidal filament voltage. Of course its the RMS heating that
matters, but some waveforms are mechanically 'harsh'.

In 1998 I designed a saturable reactor filament ramp ciruit for a
pair of 250 kW tetrodes. Works very well, still using a more
conventional filament transformer though.

K5PRO