[Amps] Re: Voodoo "EMF' forces from grid current pulses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Voodoo "EMF' forces from grid current pulses
From: MM at plextek.co.uk (Mark Marsden)
Date: Fri Feb 7 06:52:46 2003
Hi

The earth's magnetic field and any nearby ferrous metals too.

A typical aluminium amplifier chassis is a good shield to electrical fieldsb
 ut is a very poor shield to magnetic fields.

A colleague of mine once tried to magnetically screen a switched mode
power supply and calculated a requirement for 10mm thick copper walls.

73, Mark G4AXX

>>> "Conrad G0RUZ" <conrad@g0ruz.net> 07/02/03 11:17:45 >>>
This can be easily explained, the welding cables are subject to the earths
magnetic field and any other localised magnetic fields, that's why they jump
about. The question is, would this happen in a shielded enclosure (amp
chassis) and with the magnitude of current flowing in the grid during a
fault condition? I am still sceptical. One thing's for sure, something
happens, but what?

73

Conrad G0RUZ