[Amps] Re: Voodoo "EMF' forces from grid current pulses

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: Voodoo "EMF' forces from grid current pulses
From: K1LE at ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Fri Feb 7 14:42:17 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Morrow" <john_morrow@ntlworld.com>
To: "Jeffrey Madore" <K1LE@arrl.net>; "2" <2@vc.net>;
<MorgusMagnificen@aol.com>; " AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, February 07, 2003 7:25 AM

> What is the temperature rise in the cable at such high currents? Could
> not a
> sudden rise cause the metal to expand and at least explain some of the
> movement?

During a short pulse (2 or 3 seconds) there is little rise in temperature in
a large (welding) cable. Duration is really a significant factor in
developing heat. However, I have intentionally passed 350 amps through a #18
test lead for approximately one second. Two pulses like that and the lead
was very warm and flaccid!

Gosh, the fun I used to have. I once accidentally took out the computer that
controlled the ventilation system in the entire building...dampers and
valves cycling all over the building...major disruption. There were
maintenance people running about and engineers scratching their heads as to
what could have caused such a failure. They finally blamed it on solar
activity. Little did they know that I had created a lightning bolt in the
next room, with a substantial 100Kv hipot, immediately prior to the failure!

Jeff