[Amps] The Philosophy of Science

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] The Philosophy of Science
From: MorgusMagnificen at aol.com (MorgusMagnificen@aol.com)
Date: Mon Feb 10 11:22:57 2003
I apologize for that last blast of air from K8-land. Although it was all
perfectly valid, I don't think this group has much interest in the philosophy
of science. After reading it thru, I realize that the important message about
electronics got buried in the QRM. It is this.

Exact calculations (in electronics, particularly) are those which are based
on precise models of all of the components involved and calculated to a
specified degree of precision, whereas approximate calculations use models
which are simplified to permit the mathematics to be manageable. Sometimes,
without using simplifications, even simple circuits can be mathematically
incorrigible.

Most of the power supply data that was produced before the computer era was
based on such approximations, and for good reason. But nowadays, we can do it
exactly with little effort.

If you want to see an example of what I am trying to say, on an
up-front-and-personal level, try the following simple (???) electronic
exercise:  calculate the charging rate of a capacitor C in series with a
1N4004 diode connected to any source of your choosing, DC, AC,noise,etc..

Eric K8LV