[Amps] The Philosophy of Science (Spherical Cows)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] The Philosophy of Science (Spherical Cows)
From: n2uf at joeham.net (Joseph DiPietro)
Date: Tue Feb 11 14:56:16 2003
I have to disagree with you Eric.  I develop computer models for a living;
They are not EXACT, they are MODELS complete with simplifying assumptions
(Assume a cow is a sphere one-meter in diameter...).  That is, they are
mathematical approximations that (hopefully) predict the real world.

Even if you ignore the assumptions, COMPUTER models are not exact since they
are implemented in digital computers. This means that precision is limited
by the number of bits used to store the various parameters.

Joe DiPietro
N2UF