[Amps] Cheap 1500 Watt Amps?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Cheap 1500 Watt Amps?
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Fri Feb 14 10:27:27 2003

>At 06:52 AM 2/14/03 -0600, Phil wrote:
>>We have all been waiting for this gem for years!
>>There is no such thing as a free lunch, Dan.
>>There is no such thing as cheap, reliable, and 1500 watts out, key down.
>>Truly an oxymoron, IMO.
>
>I suspect that an older AL-1200 may come as close as anything.

**  In order for a linear amplifier to be able to do 1500w out
key-down/A?/RTTY, 24/7, a CCS 2500w DC supply is needed.  The only Ham
amp I am aware of that has such a supply is the Henry 3K-A.  I know of no
Ameritron/MFJ/Cushcraft amplifier that has anything even close.  The
reason Ham amps use smallish DC supplies is that, due to the 15%
duty-cycle of SSB, 1500W pep SSB can be produced from a 500W-CCS HV
transformer.  Heath was the first to figure this out for their SB-220.
There was no shortage of skeptics in those days.  Many OT Ham "experts"
declared that if a plumb-growed man could lift the damn thang, it wernt
no Real kilowatt.  However, when driven by a TS-830 on 40m, I measured
400V peak coming out of a SB-220.  Since P = E^2/R, that's 1600W-PEP,
which is barely within the FCC's limit of 1500W +/- 10%.

cheers, Pete N4ZR

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end