[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: ad5gb at myway.com (ad5gb)
Date: Sun Mar 2 00:18:24 2003
Greetings amps gurus,

A friend of mine just called me. He bought an AL-80B about 6 months ago. It's
now eaten it's 4th tube. He's sent the amp back once and gotten replacement
tubes the other times.

This morning he wanted to try to work some of the contest on 10M, began tuning
up, said he heard a little "tick..... tick-tick" and then no output. ZSAC is
about 250mA.

The other times this happened he said Ameritron told him that they'd gotten a
bad batch of tubes (Amperex) and exchanged them for him.

The one time that he sent the amp in to Ameritron they said they found nothing
wrong.

Having never experienced parasitic problems first hand I can't speak from
experience but the last time this happened I suggested that he try one of Rich
Measures' retrofit kits. He says he now has it but hasn't installed it yet.

My questions:

1: Does this sound like a symptom of parasitic oscillations?
  I thought the 3-500Z was pretty rugged with respect to faults.

2: Does anyone know of any problems with recently built Amperex bottles?

3: I'll probably help him install the parasitic supressor kit somethime this
week.  Are there any other things to look for or suggested corrections to this
thing that would make it less prone to eating another tube?

Thanks in advance all!

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer
Microsoft is the question and the answer is NO!

Proud to be 100% Microsoft Free

No banners. No pop-ups. No kidding.