[Amps] hear hear about the toobs

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] hear hear about the toobs
From: jtml at lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Mon Mar 3 09:51:44 2003
I wholeheartedly agree with John and Tom's points about transmitting
tubes and how manufacturers can easily loose the formula, sometimes
they do regain it. In my own 25 years experience in the end use of
large tubes, it would be difficult to write about all the instances
of where an Eimac or RCA/Burle tube has suddenly experienced short
life. Each was traced to a single batch or period of manufactuing
where a process was changed, a test set was modified, a step was
missed, a worker retired, or a plant was sold and relocated. Working
with these companies, (and the others are probably similar, i.e., E2V
- Marconi, Thales - Thomson, Amperex - Covimag, Toshiba, the
Russians, Czechs, etc) one has to be a detective, an evesdropper, an
engineer, and learn about tubes and their design, in order to stay on
top of the curve and have success.

Some of the mistakes cost us hundreds of thousands of dollars in lost
time, rework, warranty claims (including filling out those little
forms packed with each tube and getting an RMA # to return them), and
lost confidence of our end users of the RF amplifiers. But in the
end, many did finally come clean as manufacturing problems. I am not
blaming them entirely, though, as I have my share of boo boo, some
with exploding results.

73
John
K5PRO