[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Mon Mar 3 10:05:15 2003

>Now you asked another question so I have to answer.
>
>Because I would like to learn somthing from this NG and I search the
>subject lines for somthing that just might have useful information
>when I see somthing curious I open it up.

sound reason

>Now as long as I have your undivided attention.   In regards to step
>start circuts, I see in your website there is a circut which uses two
>resistors, one in each leg of the primary, why do you use two when
>one would do the same if the total resistance is the same?

One stepstart R would do the job in a 240V-only amp.  In 120V/240V amp it
takes two.  The "Plywood-Box" 20db amp on my Web site uses one 3-ohm
stepstart R and one SPST relay.  The step takes about 1-second.

>Please I don't want to start a firestorm of argument, just curious.

This one is fireproof.  Step-start is not rocket science.

>I did install a step start in my old AL80A using one resistor, 40 ohm
>and a AC relay.  I like the idea of the DC relay with more time delay
>but I still wonder about the two resistors?

Thoriated-tungsten filaments reach 1800?K in under one second.   One
stepstart R in an 240V-AL-80 is ok if you don't switch it to 120V.

>If you choose to answer, thankyou

ur welcome, Dale

Since you asked an interesting question, I posted this to the group.

cheers

>>  >
>>>No, but you two guys have been battling it here for quite sometime
>>>and I do get each and every posting on this NG, most get trashed
>>>before I open them so yes I do filter manually, but not every single
>>>one.
>>
>>Why not ?  Bellyaching is hardly good form.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end