[Amps] 8877s, ETO and the General Electric Contract

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] 8877s, ETO and the General Electric Contract
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Tue Mar 4 05:36:18 2003
> It has been said,  "GE Medical cancelled the contract
> years after Eimac fixed the heat dam problem."  This
> statement is wrong.  The amplifiers which replaced the
> ETO amplifiers have been decommissioned for quite some
> time, and you can purchase subassemblies at hamfests.
> I did just that - and the 300 watt solid state driver
> board which I obtained thusly has a date code on it of
> early 1988.  Eimac has acknowledged that tubes
> manufactured from June 1986 to August 1988 were
> defective.  So it would seem the replacement amplifier
> was in production while the cathode dam episode was
> ensuing and anybody who understands the engineering
> process will correctly surmise that the amplifier was
> under development even before the cathode dam episode
> began.  The amplifier was, in fact, a custom, built
> for GE.

Thanks for helping dispel the false rumors about ETO and 8877's.

The most unfortunate thing in all of this is the amateur radio fraternity
has been receiving (and some people actually believe) incorrect technical
information that is supported by false claims and fabricated stories! All of
it originated by one person!

73 Tom