[Amps] Solid State Amps: 1500 watts is cheap if . . .

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Solid State Amps: 1500 watts is cheap if . . .
From: watson at sierracmp.com (George K. Watson)
Date: Tue Mar 4 10:27:07 2003
Class E operation is currently power/frequency limited.
The Caltech/Rutledge folks built a 10Mhz/200W Class E amplifier,
but I have not seen any amateur work above this frequency.

Most of the amateur work has been done at 7Mhz and below. It is possible
to develop significant, cheap power at these frequencies. Envelope
restoration
for those devoted to linearity is another matter entirely.

I have done some commercial work in class-e at 46Mhz. I managed 100+watts
with
a DEI/IXYS FET, but the design did not work well enough in the application
(plasma
generation for sealed CO2 laser) to go to production.

I am quite interesed in seeing class-e work done as I have little interest
in fone and
think class-e could be a boon to effiecient digital mode operations.

Just no time :(

George K. Watson
K0IW