[Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Why hasn't solid state replaced tubes?
From: w8ji at contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed Mar 5 05:51:02 2003
> Regarding the Icom 775, I have one and have not seen any power spike,
> I use a peak hold wattmeter and it goes right up to 200 watts and
> stops.

They might have toned down the earlier 775's. Some meters also do not really
read short peaks well.
What meter do you use?

> On twenty meters I note a number of FT-1000's with processors on that
> seem to be wider than other signals there.  Is there something about
> the speech processor in the FT1000 that would cause it to splatter
> more than others?

A new habit, imported from CB, is people now turn the little power limit
pots inside radios up. A local contestor brings his 1000MP's over for work,
and I find the pots set for 50% more power than factory. He drives SB220's,
which are not even designed to run 1500 watts output, to more than 1500
watts.

If I set a radio back to 100 watts, the next time I see it it is back at
150w. He can't figure out how the pots get turned up, so he says.

A good number of rigs I see have the power pots cranked now, and the problem
appears to be increasing.

> replacing the antenna relay as it is a little clanky so I'm looking
> at a PB enclosed K10 series relay.  Anybody have thoughts on this,
> good idea....bad idea?

You can use the high-current enclosed miniature relays, but you have to
select a relay that does not have the armature common electrically with the
moving contact.

Ameritron now uses small relays on a PC board. If you mechanically float the
board, the relays are pretty quiet. The output relay they use handle 8-10 kW
reliably into a matched load, as long as it is not hot switched.

73 Tom