[Amps] Electronic Relay Use In RF Aplications

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Electronic Relay Use In RF Aplications
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu Mar 6 10:29:24 2003
Rick Cole VK3YM wrote:

> Yes..exactly what I should have asked...does the RF have any effect on them???

Yes!  I used one to switch the primary circuit of a pair of 12v 70-amp regulated
DC supplies for my solid-state amplifier.  Everything worked fine when I
transmitted into a dummy load, but when I used an antenna both supplies groaned
mightily and blew fuses.  It turned out that the RF was turning the relays
partly off, causing the line voltage to drop which in turn caused the regulators
to draw more current.  I had to add RF filtering to both the AC line and the
actuating circuit of the solid-state relay to fix this.

73
Vic K2VCO
Fresno CA