[Amps] Ameritron AL-80B - Alternative?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Ameritron AL-80B - Alternative?
From: vic at rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Sun Mar 9 01:19:02 2003
Rod Elliott wrote:

> Five months ago I bought a new Ameritron AL-80B/X (/X=the export version:
> 240-volts with 12 and 10m enabled). Unfortunately, so far, two 3-500Z?s
> (Amperex) have failed with grid-filament shorts.

I think the AL80B is a decent amplifier design; I do not believe there is either
an inrush or parasitic problem.  And it may be the only game in town at this
price point for a new amplifier.  I suspect tube problems (it's quite common to
get a run of bad tubes).  I would try an RF Parts brand 3-500Z
<http://www.rfparts.com/>.

An excellent 1 KW amp is the Acom 1000.  But the price is much higher than the
AL-80B.  <http://www.hfpower.com/>.

Good luck
Vic K2VCO