[Amps] AL-80B questions

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] AL-80B questions
From: redpines at cybrzn.com (Tom and Linda Hellem)
Date: Sun Mar 9 08:53:39 2003
Gentlemen:
For what it's worth, my experience on this subject.

A friend has a TL922A which gave him problems. First it was fried contacts
on the bandswitch, then a burned out zener bias diode (twice), and finally a
shorted 3-500Z. He reported hearing a sizzling/arcing sound on several
occassions. This all over a period of probably a year or so. We purchased
and installed AG6K's parasitic supressor kit, without using any of the other
parts in the kit. He has not had any problems with the amp in 2 years since.

And as a caveat to any who might be thinking of doing some work on your amp.
I converted my SB220 over to QSK using AG6K's mods. Part of the mod involves
removal of the zener cathode bias diode and installing a string of diodes on
a board and an optoisolator and switching transistor to replace the original
relay. The bias voltage is adjusted by selecting however many diodes in the
string that produces the correct amount of bias. Since I had mounted the
diodes on a board under the chasis, I had the amp laying on it's side on the
bench so it could be accessed to make the adjustment. When I powered it up,
the fireworks began. Ended up with a burned up grid choke, a couple burned
up grid bypass caps, some fried diodes on the HV rectifier board. I am
pretty sure that having the 3-550Z's in a horizontal position was the
culprit, and the grids probably sagged over and shorted to the cathode.

Moral of story: DON'T run your 3-500's laying on their sides.

73 to all.
Tom K0SN