[Amps] test hv diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] test hv diodes
From: jtml at lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Fri Mar 14 12:20:25 2003
To test HV diodes, you can do two independent tests with different
setups. Check forward drop, conduction mode, with a normal 24-48 VDC
power supply, and a series resistor to limit I. You might assume
10-15 volt drop on each diode module, then 0.5 Amp or less max
current. I would limit it to a few dozen mA at most. Calculate the
series R to provide this current limit across the diode. If you get
current, it is probably good. If an ohmmeter shows fwd current, then
it is shorted completely.

In the reverse (PRV) mode, you need a high potter or megger as
someone stated. However, normally diodes don't just start to break
down early, they either are already toasted or they hold off the
voltage. Or some voltage.....

K5PRO
John