[Amps] Some Advice Needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Some Advice Needed
From: K8ZE at comcast.net (Mike Switzer)
Date: Mon Mar 17 10:12:05 2003
I have decided to go with my original plan and build with 3CX1200 tubes.  I am
going to use the Z7 version per advice from several of you experts.  I have
most of the mechanical problems solved (ya sure) with the exception of cooling
this thing.  I searched my local Amp builder supply company (Home Depot) and
found a very likely candidate for a chimney.  The adaptor used to connect a
toilet to the waste pipe is almost the correct size and shape.  It of course is
made of PVC(?) and would not withstand the heat(?).  I have a friend that works
in the heat treat industry and he offered to attempt to find a solution.  I
gave him a dead tube and the adaptor with the instructions to find someone that
would machine this from Teflon.  He did find a willing person but in order to
get the Teflon in the correct size it would require a 1500 dollar min purchase
from the Teflon supplier.  This person suggested Phenolic(sp) as an alternative
which could be purchased for under 200 dollars.

Could you gentleman give me some input as to which material I can use please?
I have no information on the material he is referring to as Phenolic.  But he
claims it to be very heat resistant and non conductive.  I am sure he is
talking about 60 cycle AC and not RF. So how about some suggestions?  This is a
wonderful opportunity for someone to tell me where to go.

By the way I ordered Dahl plate and filament transformers (potted no less) and
when the locals pull out the pictures of grand kids I whip out my pics of the
xformers!!!

Mike

k8ze