[Amps] Manure, who me?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Manure, who me?
From: K1LE at ARRL.NET (Jeffrey Madore)
Date: Thu Mar 20 15:17:27 2003
----- Original Message -----
From: <W0YR@aol.com>
To: <n1rj@pivot.net>; <nospam4me@juno.com>
Cc: <amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 8:52 AM
Subject: [Amps] They're all Manure

<snip>

I was sickened recently when someone on this reflector wrote sanctimoniously
that he had build an 807 amplifier as a CBer and that it was clean of
parasitics and later, it worked well on the amateur bands.  What a thing for
anyone to admit to!   An amateur, proud that he had broken the law!

Mike
W?YR

Well...I guess that would be me. Sorry to have sickened you, Mike.

Although, if you re-read my words you will see that I was "proud" of the
*amp*  I had built (30 years ago) as a kid in tech-school, and appreciated
the learning experience that it provided. I don't believe I said anything
about later using it on the ham bands; it was a CB amp. I traded it for a
tower.

 I remember meeting a trucker in TN a couple of years ago. He invited me to
his primitive home, high on a mountain, where I had dinner with him and his
wife. Then we all watched a movie on an old 12 volt TV that we connected up
to my rental car, parked outside, using scrap wire and a pair of jumper
cables. The following morning he took me fishing on a beautiful lake, in his
small motor boat. We talked about radio and before I left, he gave me an
amp. He said that he had no need of the amp, as he had gotten a much bigger
one for his truck.

I graciously took his gift, as I was deeply moved by the kindness of these
people and still have fond memories of the experience. He was a trucker and
CB radio was a necessary tool of his trade. While I don't encourage
lawlesness, I could also understand why he had a need to exceed the 5 watt
limitation in those big open spaces and in no way was I about to insult,
criticize, or condemn him.

So, with all of this talk about cheap amps, I just went up to my attic,
rummaged around and sure enough, found that amp - Palomar 225. I had just
put it up in the attic thinking that some day I might make a piece of ham
gear out of it...nice heatsink, switches, connectors, etc.

But, hmmm...you guys say they're worth a few bux on e-bay??? ;-)

As far as breaking the law, well...I could tell you about underage drinking,
fishing where I wasn't supposed to, and losing the cops (well in excess of
100MPH) in a race car. I could go on for pages about all of the laws that I
broke in my younger days. No, I'm not "proud" of having broken any law but,
"let him who is without sin cast the first stone".

Jeff - K1LE - CT ><>