[Amps] Re: COLLINS Engineering

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Re: COLLINS Engineering
From: 2 at vc.net (2)
Date: Sun Mar 23 13:02:20 2003

>Ian:
>       I agree with you 110% about Collins/Rockwell technology. That
>particularl era/group of engineers really set the benchmarks. If you read
>through any of their publications (of which there are, sadly, way too few)
>you can clearly see how RF engineering was properly done by-the-numbers.
>Warren Bruene's ingeniously simple little directional wattmeter was really
>an
>outgrowth of the circuitry that they had developed over a period of many
>years for phase-detection in auto-tuners.
>
>       My opinion is that the level of wisdom which that group brought to RF
>amp design (not to mention many other areas of communications gear design)
>makes much of the discourse that take place here look like cosmic debris.
>
>       Like it or not, when you design stuff for the military and aviation
>industries, one-liners WILL NOT do. You do it right, prove that it is right,
>no excuses, no passing the buck to invisible experts. If you don't, you
>don't get paid.
**  unless you are the contractor for the Osprey project.  As i recall,
there was an Army radar-controlled anti-aircraft gun that sucked up a
couple of $Gigadollars before taxpayers found out the Russkys and the
Israelis had tried the idea and determined it wouldn't work because of
refraction due to normal temperature variation in the atmosphere.

-  R. L. Measures, a.k.a. Rich..., 805.386.3734, AG6K,
www.vcnet.com/measures.
end