Fw: [Amps] modern 811 designs?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Fw: [Amps] modern 811 designs?
From: nospam4me at juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Fri Apr 4 22:21:37 2003
Hi Dan,
-
The W6SAI Handbook, the Heathkit Warrior, the
Collins 30L-1, various ARRL Handbooks and
QST Mags through the past decades.
-
Of course a few of the above mentioned can be
found on the http://sonic.ucdavis.edu  Amateur
Radio Page.
-
I've seen a few of the other amps replies... my
only other "two cents" are to comment on
statements made in the Ameritron Mag Ads
about mounting 811a tubes horizontal.
-
There is a recommended axis for horizontal
811a mounting.
-
But the Ameritron Ad states/hints horizontal
mounting is bad news. At first glance, grid
sag damage might make sense... but I've
never heard or seen of an example of an
811a sag failure.
-
Furthermore, I trust the former Collins
Engineer(s) who designed and sent the
30L-1 design through to production. My 30
plus year aged 30L-1 has never had a bit
of trouble... still 100% original although I do
slow start the unit for the sake of the filter
caps.
-
I also believe neutralization is not required
for a typical 811a layout.
-
cheers
skipp