[Amps] longevity of oxide cathode tube

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] longevity of oxide cathode tube
From: jtml at lanl.gov (John T. M. Lyles)
Date: Tue Jun 24 08:56:43 2003
A comrade at another national laboratory uses 4CX350A by the dozens.
They have 4 driving 4 in a class A high level feedback preamp circuit
at 2-4 MHz. And many installations of this setup. This month we were
chatting about the short (< 1 year) tube life they are having, and I
decided to check with CPI/Eimac. I learned that this tube had been
specified for a certain filament voltage, but it was for certain
military SSB gear (i.e., Rockwell Collins) and that if run at the
datasheet nominal voltage, short emission life would result. However,
if backed off 10% on the fil V., then normal long life would be
found. With adequate cathode current for peaks.

They sell as different version, the 4CX350S (I think that was it?),
which runs the filament at the proper temperature at the rated
datasheet value, for long life.

73
John
K5PRO