[Amps] Powering 400w mobile amplifier...

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Powering 400w mobile amplifier...
From: windev at inetmarket.com (Gerry Hull)
Date: Mon Jul 28 22:26:09 2003
Hey Folks,

I just purchased a TE Systems 1454 400w 2m amplifier, which I am going to use
both mobile and in fixed-station use. My question is about DC
power wiring in my '03 Chevy Suburban.  I believe I will have aprox. 12 feet
from the battery to the amp.   Is #8 going to be large enough, or should I go
with #4?  Is it better to run both + and - to the battery, or find a ground
somewhere near the amp?    I notice the high-power audio amp people use 1-farad
caps near the power input of their amps... anyone used this in an amateur amp
configuration?  Seems like it would help on those current peaks.

Finally, the Suburban is the "family" car, and the amp will not be there
permanently... any suggestions on how to get the wire through the firewall,
without ticking off the XYL?

73,

Gerry Hull, W1VE
Hull Computer Consulting
Custom Solutions for Broadcast Automation
POB C, Greenfield, NH 03047
Home Office/fax:    603-547-8327
Toll Free:          866-823-5473
email:              windev@inetmarket.com