Re: [Amps] a BANG in the AMP ?

To: "ON4MA Marc" <marc.wullaert3@pandora.be>,AMPS <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] a BANG in the AMP ?
From: rlm <r@somis.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 13:00:58 -0700

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 04:52 AM, ON4MA Marc wrote:

When a switched on the commander 2500 a loud bang whas heard somewhere in
the rfdeck.
The main fuse from the shack was out !
I got this amp cheap , look like never used.Before I switched on I did some
inspection
inside.No dust ,tubes where in place (2x -3cx800a7) .
The guy who sold ,told me there was a problem on 10m and 80m .But other
bands where ok !
I emailed Pat at commander he told me to look in high voltage board.
Not so easy because you have to remove the rfdeck.My question is ,wat caused
the bang ?
bad tubes ?

• if the tubes arced internally, there would not have been a bang.

How could you check the tubes ?

• I would check them for leakage with a high-potential tester. and I would also measure the resistance of each suppressor resistor by unsoldering one end. If a suppressor resistor is way higher in ohms, my guess is that the tube took off on its own.

have phun, Marc

73 ON4MA Marc DXCLUSTER CONCENTRATOR visit www.on5oo.com

Rich Measures, AG6K, 805.386.3734. www.somis.org/