Re: [Amps] a BANG in the AMP ?

To: r@somis.org, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] a BANG in the AMP ?
From: Dennis12Amplify@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 13:19:37 EDT

...Marc,

... I have had cases were a tube arcing internally caused a big bang, but it
was elsewhere in the amp.

... The amp had rather large filter caps and a fuse in the HV circuit, and
the loud bang was usually the fuse exploding!

... HV testing the tubes is fine, but I have had 4CX250s not start acring
until their filaments had been turned on for some time. In most cases it's in a
homebrew amp were someone was running too high a voltage on the filament and
for some reason it caused one or more tubes to arc internally.

... Finally; I have experienced at least one situation where there was an arc
from the plate HV fuse to the chassis, but only at a certain frequency. That
particular problem was solved by an additional RF choke and another HV bypass
capacitor; but it was sure a tough one to troubleshoot.

... Regards,

...Dennis O.