RE: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?

To: wb8jkr@juno.com, wrt@dslextreme.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [Amps] Benefits of 3-phase power?
From: "Skram, Helge (MED)" <helge.skram@med.ge.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 15:49:55 +0100
The mains frequency choice must also have something to do with wavelength.
The wavelength for 1000Hz is 300km.
An open quarter wavelength line at 75km, would be a short at the supplier
side.

The wavelength for 50Hz is 6000km, so it is much easier to avoid
transmission line effects.

Maybe tolerable losses at 50 versus 400 or 1000Hz was a problem when
frequency was decided.

Helge LA6MV